Smoke alarm saves sleeping family

Scene of a house fire, Greenford Close, Orrell

Scene of a house fire, Greenford Close, Orrell

0
Have your say

A WIGAN family had a lucky escape after their house was severely damaged by a fire in the early hours of the morning.

The roof of the semi-detached dormer bungalow, in Greenford Close, Orrell, was partly destroyed, and the upstairs ceilings collapsed after a fire broke out at around 3am on Sunday.

The homeowner managed to safely escort his family out of the property after being woken by the smoke alarm before calling the fire brigade.

Fire crews from Wigan managed to prevent the fire from spreading to the house next door, before they entered the roof space wearing breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze.

One firefighter slightly injured his shoulder when a ceiling collapsed during the operation, which lasted around three hours, but he did not require hospital treatment.

FULL STORY IN THE WIGAN EVENING POST (TUESDAY) ...