A CHEF has been accused of launching an horrific knife attack on a colleague at a Wigan town centre restaurant.
Giuseppe Maragioglio will appear at Liverpool Crown Court next January after a stabbing incident in the kitchen of Franco’s Italian Restaurant, Rodney Street, which left one man with grave injuries.
The 52-year-old is accused of knifing head chef Carlos Neto, 47, at the eatery on Saturday afternoon and faces a charge of causing him grievous bodily harm with intent - the most serious form of assault after attempted murder.
Police were called to the restaurant at 3.30pm to reports of a violent disturbance.
Mr Neto was rushed to North Manchester General Hospital suffering from stab wounds to the left side of his stomach, left arm and to his head.
Since then he has undergone surgery and his condition is said to be serious but not life-threatening.
Doctors have also treated him for internal bleeding.
A spokesman from Greater Manchester Police said: “Officers attended and established there had been an incident in which a man was assaulted with a knife.
“A 47-year-old man was taken to hospital where he remains for treatment. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.”
Customers were turned away as Franco’s Restaurant was shut by the police for the rest of Saturday as forensic investigations took place.
Maragioglio of Douglas Road, Leigh, appeared at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court on Monday and entered no plea.
He has been released on bail on condition that he doesn’t contact Carlos Neto, Mark Cuni, Karla Monji, Pedro Goncalves and Jose David. He is due to make his first appearance before a crown court judge on January 27.