Tumble dryer fires every day

The White Knight tumble dryer which set alight

The White Knight tumble dryer which set alight

1
Have your say

FIRE chiefs in Wigan have warned against leaving tumble dryers on unattended, as they cause almost one blaze every day.

According to freedom of information figures, fire brigades were called to 926 tumble dryer incidents between 2011 and 2013, amounting to 309 each year.

Hotpoint models accounted for the highest number of dryer-related fires with 410 in the three-year period.

It comes after thousands of appliance owners received warnings that some Hotpoint, Creda and Indesit-branded machines could pose a fire risk.

Only last month, Leigh resident Anthony Mottram spoke to the Evening Post as his White Knight tumble dryer model number 38 AW set on fire despite him turning it off when he could see smoke.

A spokesman for Crosslee, which manufactures White Knight products, said it would inspect the machine to find out what the technical fault was.

And last October, a tumble dryer set alight in the early hours of the morning, in Bluebell Avenue, Beech Hill.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service warns people never to leave tumble dryers on overnight and urges everyone to check the filters and clean them out regularly.

Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Coun David Acton, said: “Keep appliances in good working order and get them serviced regularly. If it’s safe to do so pull out the plug or switch off the power and call for help.”

Last year, research by consumer group Which? showed tumble dryers were the second biggest cause of house fires, accounting for 12 per cent behind washing machines on 14 per cent. Indesit warned last November the problem with its machines could occur when excess fluff came into contact with the heating element. The products affected are the manufacturer’s condenser and vented tumble dryers made and sold between April 2004 and September 2015. To check if your appliance is among those affected key in the model and serial number on the Indesit website.