VIOLENT crime in the town centre has fallen significantly since the launch of the Best Bar None competition last year, organisers trumpeted today.
The scheme aims to ensure the safety of partygoers by making sure bars, pubs and clubs meet certain safety standards and rewarding the measures they take.
And the figures suggest that the contest is beginning to make a positive impact on the local night scene.
Data, issued by Wigan Council today, shows an 8.9 per cent reduction in serious wounding, 20 per cent reduction in less serious wounding and two per cent reduction in robbery in the last year.
In the year up to August 1 this year the number of serious assaults fell to 61 from the 67 that took place in the previous 12 months.
The number of less serious assaults fell from 2384 to 1906, and robberies dropped from 158 to 155.
Coun Kevin Anderson, cabinet member for safer communities said: “The fact that crime rates have reduced by 30.9 per cent overall since the launch of Best Bar None is no coincidence.
“I truly believe this scheme has been pivotal in making the town centre a safer place.
“I’d like to thank all those pubs, bars and clubs who are working together and with the council and partners, to reduce crime rates.”
Supt Andrea Jones said: “Working together we have made Wigan a safer place to live visit and work.
“We want people to enjoy our thriving town but at the same time we need to make sure that people are safe and feel safe.
“Best Bar None has contributed significantly to this.
“We have reduced the number of victims of crime in Wigan over the last 12 months and we will continue to work closely with our partners to reduce this even further.”