Warning issued after tumble dryer fire

The tumble dryer
The tumble dryer
2
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS are urging residents to clean their tumble dryer filters.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue issued the advice after crews attended a fire on Sunday that they believe was caused by a tumble dryer overheating due to a build up of fluff in its filter.

A woman in her 70s was trapped in the property on Platt Lane, Manchester, with two family members, a man and a woman in their 50s after clothes in the dryer caught fire at around 1pm on Sunday.

The man, along with help from a neighbour managed to drag the tumble dryer outside but the two women required treatment for smoke inhalation.

Station Manager Paul Smitham, who attended the incident, said: “At this time of year people will be using tumble dryers to dry their clothes more often and I would urge everyone to check the filters inside aren’t blocked and to clean them out regularly to stop anything like this happening to them.”

It is not believed that any of the four people involved needed hospital treatment.

Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Councillor David Acton, said: “Remember to keep appliances in good working order and get them serviced regularly.

“If there is a fire involving an electrical item, never put water on it. If it’s safe to do so pull out the plug or switch off the power and call for help.”

For further advice and information about staying safe at home on the GMFRS website manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety/.

For advice on our Safe and Well visits – which address fire safety, falls prevention, cold homes, social isolation and flu – you can call GMFRS on 0800 555 815.