Was ANOTHER house shot at in Wigan?

editorial image

Police probing a double shooting in Standish are also investigating possible links with another incident in the town less than 24 hours later.

It was initially thought by neighbours in James Square that a shotgun had been fired at the windows of a house there, shattering three of them, during an incident at 10.50pm last Thursday.

I thought it was fireworks at first and they were very loud. But when I went outside I could see these windows had been shattered and thought someone had blasted them with a gun

But it has subsequently emerged that the damage was probably caused with some kind of blunt instrument.

Residents ran out into the street on hearing two loud bangs and at least one said they saw a possible suspect fleeing the scene.

A local, who did not want to be identified, said: “I thought it was fireworks at first and they were very loud. But when I went outside I could see these windows had been shattered and thought someone had blasted them with a gun.

“It was probably easier to come to that conclusion after what had been happening in Standish the previous night. Fortunately no-one was in the house at the time.”

The suspect is described as a youth, about 5ft 8ins to 5ft 9ins tall, wearing a white hoodie-style top and gret tracksuit bottoms.

A police spokesman said: “Shortly before 11pm on Thursday April 14, police were called to James Square, Standish, to a report that windows had been smashed on a property.

“Officers attended and found that windows on the ground floor had been smashed with an unknown object. No one was injured. Inquiries into this matter are ongoing.”

Earlier this week two men appeared before Wigan magistrates in connection with shots’ being fired at a house in Bradley Lane and a tattoo parlour in Preston Road, Standish.

Anthony Sumner, 31, of Almond Brook Road, Standish, and Richard Bennett, 25, of James Square, both denied two counts of criminal damage, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and taking a vehicle without consent.

They were remanded in custody to appear at Liverpool Crown Court on May 17.