Woman in hospital after blaze

Heywood Gardens, in Golborne
Heywood Gardens, in Golborne

AN elderly woman suffered smoke inhalation following a fire at her home.

The woman had managed to escape the property in Heywood Gardens, Golborne, after a smouldering cigarette set furniture alight in the downstairs bedroom, at 5.15pm on Friday.

Firefighters, using breathing apparatus and a hose reel, extinguished the flames.

The blaze was believed to have been contained in the bedroom, but created a lot of smoke damage to the rest of the house.

The woman, who was conscious, was taken to hospital by paramedics.