ROBERTO Martinez was given an unexpected bit of good news last night when Jordi Gomez’s sending-off at Sunderland was rescinded by the FA.
The Wigan Athletic midfielder is now clear to face Everton on Saturday with his expected three-game ban being quashed.
Latics submitted video evidence, along with a personal letter from Martinez, to explain the reasoning behind the appeal, following Howard Webb’s decision to brandish red following Gomez’s sliding tackle on Danny Rose.
Martinez claimed after the game that Webb’s decision to dismiss his compatriot was “very, very harsh”, and an FA panel clearly agreed with his verdict.
“It doesn’t bring back the time lost when Jordi had to leave the field, but I am delighted we can draw a line under this incident and that Jordi is available for us Saturday,” said Martinez.
The Wigan boss will be hoping for similar success when he meets with the FA to discuss his own comments made following the defeat at Manchester United last month.
Meanwhile, Oman international Eid Al Farsi has been granted a one-week trial at Christopher Park.
Al Farsi, who scored Oman’s goal in the 4-1 friendly defeat to Ireland at Fulham last month, has been given a glowing recommendation by Ali Al Habsi.
“We have received an official letter from Wigan to send Eid Al Farsi for a week so they can evaluate his performance and then decide if they want to hire him or not,” said OFA chairman Sayyid Khalid Al Busaidi.
Al Farsi will jet into the North West after Oman’s World Cup qualifier against Jordan on October 16.
Wigan’s Capital One Cup fourth-round tie at home to League Two side Bradford City will take place on Tuesday, October 30 (7.45pm).
Latics have been shortlisted for two awards at the 2012 Northwest Football Awards - the Community Initiative of the Year and the Community Club of the Year.
The voting panel includes PFA Chairman Gordon Taylor, and the results will be announced on Monday, November 12 at Lancashire CCC.