WIGAN Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has confirmed that Roberto Martinez has signalled his intention to leave Wigan after four years in charge.
The Spaniard, who helped secure the club’s first ever major silverware this season with the FA Cup, has told Whelan that he doesn’t feel he is the right man to lead the club to promotion next season.
It now looks likely that Martinez will head to Everton, who made an original approach last week.
Whelan said: “Roberto felt it was in the best interests of him and the club for him to go.
“Everton asked for permission to speak to Roberto last Thursday. I told them to wait until I had spoken to Roberto today.”
More to follow ...