Price must be right for N’Zogbia

Wigan Athletic's Charles N'Zogbia celebrates scoring their first goal of the game with team-mate James McCarthy (left) during the Barclays Premier League match at the DW Stadium, Wigan. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Saturday April 30, 2011. See PA story SOCCER Wigan. Photo credit should read: Dave Thompson/PA Wire. RESTRICTIONS: Use subject to restrictions. Editorial print use only except with prior written approval. New media use requires licence from Football DataCo Ltd. Call +44 (0)1158 447447 or see www.pressassociation.com/images/restrictions for full restrictions.
Wigan Athletic's Charles N'Zogbia celebrates scoring their first goal of the game with team-mate James McCarthy (left) during the Barclays Premier League match at the DW Stadium, Wigan. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Saturday April 30, 2011. See PA story SOCCER Wigan. Photo credit should read: Dave Thompson/PA Wire. RESTRICTIONS: Use subject to restrictions. Editorial print use only except with prior written approval. New media use requires licence from Football DataCo Ltd. Call +44 (0)1158 447447 or see www.pressassociation.com/images/restrictions for full restrictions.
0
Have your say

ROBERTO Martinez has once again re-assured Latics fans that should Charlie N’Zogbia be allowed to leave, any transfer proceeds will be ploughed back into the squad strengthening budget.

The ‘will he, won’t he go’ saga surrounding the wing wizard continues, and even cranked up a further notch yesterday when it emerged that a £9m offer from Aston Villa had been turned down by chairman Dave Whelan.

It still looks likely that N’Zogbia will eventually leave the DW Stadium, but the price has to be right.

Martinez told the Evening Post: “At the moment we have only had one offer for Charles.

“It’s been well documented, but we want to be transparent and we want our fans to know that they can rest assured that we don’t have to sell players and we don’t have to try to generate money.

“We’ve got what we’ve got and we’ll invest it well.

“If you lose a player it has to be for the right valuation where it allows you to reinvest the money and take the club forward.

“You can’t predict much in the transfer window, but what you can predict is that any player in any football club has a price and unless that’s met there won’t be any changes.

“What’s clear with Charles is that we will look to have him for another season, but the reality is that even though he has one year left in his contract he’s a player that has huge value amongst football clubs.

“There hasn’t been an offer that reflects his valuation though, so unless that happens Charles is going to continue to be an important player in our squad.”

Regarding Villa’s bid for N’Zogbia, Whelan said: “It’s £10m or there is no deal. They offered us £9m and we refused it – firstly because we would like to keep Charles, and secondly because if he is to go, then we have to get the right price for him.

“Charles has played fantastically well in the last year and, with his pace and penetration, there’s no doubt in my mind that he is the finest left winger in the Premier League.

“We owe him a lot, not least for his goal against West Ham that helped us stay up.

“If the right offer comes in, we would definitely consider it, if it was in his best interests – but it has to be the right offer.”