GARY Caldwell is keeping his fingers crossed that Roberto Martinez will be staying to spearhead Wigan Athletic’s promotion push.
The future of Martinez has been the subject of feverish speculation since Wigan’s relegation to the Championship was confirmed earlier this month.
Everton, Stoke City and La Liga outfit Malaga are believed to be monitoring developments closely as they look to fill managerial vacancies.
Martinez has already held a couple of meetings with chairman Dave Whelan, and spent the weekend back home in Spain to mull things over.
Whelan insisted last week he was ‘more positive’ than ever that Martinez would be staying at the DW.
The pair are due to meet for a third time this afternoon (Tuesday), and captain Caldwell says the whole club is keeping its collective fingers crossed that Martinez commits his future to Latics.
“Everyone wants to be here next year, and obviously the gaffer is at the head of everything we do here,” Caldwell told the Evening Post.
“A lot of other clubs will be wanting to take him and rightly so.
“But obviously we all want him to stay here and help us to get back into the Premier League as quickly as possible.
“It’s his decision, and it will be a big decision to make.
“Whatever he decides we’ll wish him well, but on behalf of the players here we’re desperate for him to stay.”
It’s the third summer in a row that Martinez has been linked with a departure from Wigan.
In 2011, he turned down the chance to speak to Aston Villa, while 12 months ago he spurned the advances of Liverpool to stay at the DW.