Amateur Football - South Lancs Counties League

Wigan Cosmos (Blue and White Stripes) v Tanner

Wigan Cosmos (Blue and White Stripes) v Tanner

Have your say

IT rained goals in the Houghton Cup at Golborne Parkside as the home club won by an incredible 11-8 against Horwich St Mary’s Reserves.

The Saints led 2-0 and again 8-7 before a flurry of goals saw Golborne Parkside home.

Elliot Miller scored five goals for Horwich St Mary’s, with Jordan Coop [2] and John Daley also on target.

Wayne Bailey, Dave Hughes and Richie Scott each scored a hat-trick for the home side, with Peter Higgins and Jason Ridyard also on the mark.

Academy Sports moved into round two with a narrow 2-1 win over Olympic Athletic.

Mike Banks put the Academy ahead in the first half. Olympic equalised on 84 minutes after missing several gilt-edged chances. A late winner by Martin Neville saw Academy Sports home.

Bird ‘Ith Albion were 2-1 winners against Hindley Athletic with Dave Lynch and Ant Dunleavey scoring. Josh Foster replied for Athletic.

Knowsley South ran out 13-0 winners against Hindley Lion with Sean Richards cracking in seven goals and Mike Goulding four.

Newtown proved too strong for FC Wigan Utd and won 6-1. Mike Walsh [2], Ryan Molyneux, Gary Kenyon, Danny Arkwright and Liam Butcher were on target.

A Daniel Viquerat hat-trick saw Halsall beat Standish Park Rangers 3-0.

Digmoor went 3-0 up against Goose Green Reserves through Alex Stodden [2] and a 35-yard screamer by Ian Webber. John Grady struck a last minute penalty to make the score 3-1.

Still in the Houghton Cup, Parklands visited Bryn Park and won 5-1, with all the goals coming in the second half.

Sam Wood [2], Chris Taylor, Paul Readmeed and Lee Johnson netted for Parklands.

Nathan Lane replied.

Chequer Lane came from behind to win the Hall Green derby against Victoria 2-1. Chris Melling put Victoria ahead, with Dean Hornby and Deon Moran scoring for Chequer Lane.

Leigh Accies went 1-0 ahead against Up Holland thanks to a goal by Calvin Williams. However, Matt Gaskell [2], Adam Niklas and Craig Manning saw Up Holland run out 4-1 winners.

A strong Orrell Otters side won 5-1 at Ashton Villa.

Orrell Sorrento moved into the second round as AFC Wigan Reserves failed to raise a team. And St Cuthbert’s came from 1-0 down to win 5-2 against Marus Bridge. Mike Hair and James Demmings were among the goals.

The match between Whitley and Bryn Hall was abandoned owing to a serious injury to a Whitley player on 110 minutes. Rules state that the game should have gone to a penalty shoot-out after 90 minutes.

In the Premier Division, North Star visited Leigh Centurions and came away with the points in a 2-1 win.

Mike Hughes put Leigh ahead, but second half goals by Mark Rogerson and Mick McGurk secured the result for North Star.

Parbold came from 2-0 down to beat Horwich St Mary’s 6-4 after levelling at 2-2. The Saints then took the lead before a flurry of goals sealed the match for Parbold.

John Milner and Wayne Law each scored a brace, while Dave Healy and Lee Tyrell were also on target for Parbold. Reece Hopkins and Steve McDonald each scored a brace for Horwich St Mary’s.

A goal in each half by Carl Murphy and Mark Wright gave AFC Wigan a 2-0 win against Dynamo Globe.

Highfield Grange played hosts to Aspull JFC and won 3-1. Danny Finch put the hosts ahead at the interval, only for a Daniel Edmondson equaliser gave Aspull a shot in the arm. Martin Meehan quickly put Highfield Grange back in front and Finch scored his second late on to clinch the game.

Previous leaders Goose Green were held to a 1-1 draw by Wigan Cosmos. Mickey Bolton gave Green a lead, only for an Alex Rigby to reply.

Orwell moved to the top of Division Three when they came away from PNG Athletic with an 8-3 win. Scot Jones [2], Dan Adamson [2], Neil Rigby, Chris Scott, Shaun McSorley and Ben Evans were on target.

Alex Ness with a brace and Craig Pickford replied for PNG.

In the Under-18s, Forefield Rangers lead after a 100 per cent record from four games.

Their latest win was an 8-1 thrashing of Goose Green Youth. Elliot Burke was amongst the goals with a hat-trick for Forefield Rangers.

Ashton Town came from behind to beat Penlake by the odd goal in three thanks to John Vosper and Liam Ratcliffe. Mark Kelly had given Penlake a second half lead.

Goals by Connor Hicklin and Mathew Allison gave Horwich Town a 2-0 win against Billinge Juniors.

Steve Lees hit four goals as Atherton Town ran out 5-0 winners in their Under-17s clash with Golborne Sports. Jordan Smith was also on target for the winning side.

Shevington visited Billinge Juniors Under-17s and won 6-0, with Craig Watson finding the net on four occasions. Josh Fairhurst and Tom Byron were also on target for Shevington.

In the Lancashire Under-18s Cup, Southport won through on a penalty shoot-out against Daisy Hill and Ashton Athletic went through as their opponents defaulted.