Murray aims to rule the world

Boxer Martin Murray training in Wigan

Boxer Martin Murray training in Wigan

0
Have your say

MARTIN Murray reckons he could be just one fight away from a third world title shot.

The former Wigan ABC middleweight, 32, faces Domenico Spada in Monte Carlo live on Channel Five this Saturday, October 25, and is ranked the number one challenger by the WBC.

Murray hopes a convincing victory over the “rugged and awkward” Italian will help him to secure a fight with hard-hitting WBC king Gennady Golovkin early next year.

He previously drew with Felix Sturm in a world title bout in Germany and suffered a points loss against Sergio Martinez in Argentina – despite knocking his opponent down twice.

Murray said: “Training’s gone really well and I’m feeling focused and ready. I’ve been over to Dublin for a bit of sparring and my preparations have gone perfectly.

“Being away from my family has been hard but it’s helped me get into fight mode.

“It’s given me time to focus properly on this fight, though, because I know I’ve just got to keep winning and my chance for another world title shot will come.

“I’ve got my eye on Golovkin because he’s the main man at middleweight at the moment. My business advisor is working on a world title fight for the beginning of next year, hopefully.”

Though born and raised in St Helens, Murray came through the ranks at Wigan ABC and still trains in the town where he used to call home.

He has even done sessions with Warriors’ director of performance, Mark Bitcon, at their Orrell base.

He has many friends and fans from both sides of Billinge Hill, and he knows he can count on their support.

He added: “I’m told more than a million people are likely to be tuning in, which is great.”