Hull KR 14 Wigan 14

Josh Charnley in action against Hull KR

Josh Charnley in action against Hull KR

Have your say

JOSH Charnley struck with just TWO SECONDS left on the clock to spare Wigan’s blushes.

Sean O’Loughlin’s try with seven minutes remaining, adding to Dan Sarginson’s opener, cut the Rovers’ lead to just four-points to set up a nervous finish.

And with a last roll of the dice, Wigan kept the ball alive and conjured up enough space for Charnley to soar over to claim something from a game which they never looked like salvaging.

Matty Smith pushed his conversion attempt wide - denying the Warriors a win which would have sent them top of the ladder - but many fans may have been relieved to have claimed just a point from this match.

While they scored two tries in the final eight minutes, they had trundled through the previous 70 minutes, following Sarginson’s early opener, without troubling the Hull KR scoreboard operator.

Wane will hoping his side’s ability to bounce back from poor displays will again surface - they face Widnes, Leeds and Warrington in the run-in to the play-offs, with just four points separating first from sixth positions.

Wigan had not only won four of their past five, but were boosted by the return of stand-off Blake Green from a torn biceps injury he suffered at the Magic Weekend in May, while Joel Tomkins started his first game since returning to the club.

The dual-code international had a cameo off the bench in the Warriors’ last match, a 45-4 thumping of Salford two weeks earlier.

And from the start, everything seemed to go to plan. Sarginson took Matty Bowen’s short ball and sliced through within 90 seconds of the start to open the scoring.

But they lacked their usual precision and went into the half-time break 10-4 down, conceding tries to Craig Hall and Jason Chan.

The Robins remained the better of the two sides, but lacked the composure and class to turn the screw.

George Williams tracked back a breakaway Chan, but his effort proved futile as - later in the set - the Robins punished Wigan’s stretched line through a looping pass to winger Ben Cockayne.

With Burns pushing his conversion wide, Wigan were left chasing a 10-point deficit in the final quarter.

Finally, they forced a breakthrough which gave themselves a lifeline, captain O’Loughlin crossing from Green’s offload.

With Smith arrowing over the conversion, it cut Rovers’ lead to 14-10 with seven minutes to play. And after squandering further chances, it was left to Charnley to intervene and earn Wigan a point which looked to have eluded them for so long.