Rhodri Lloyd moves closer to Wigan Warriors first team call

Rhodri Lloyd in action in 2013

Rhodri Lloyd in action in 2013

33
Have your say

FORGOTTEN man Rhodri Lloyd is inching closer to a Wigan Warriors first-team recall.

The Welshman hasn’t played for Wigan since August 2013 but Shaun Wane says the “penny’s dropped” and he’s now in the selection frame – particularly after Anthony Gelling was sidelined with injury.

Now the penny has dropped and he knows he’s under pressure

Shaun Wane

Lloyd has made only three appearances since joining Wigan from Crusaders, and spent last season on loan at Widnes and recently had a month at Championship club Whitehaven.

“I like what he’s been doing. He’s a good athlete, he’s training really well and I’ll be very at ease putting him in at the moment,” said Wane.

“Last year, he was way below what I wanted at Widnes. But now the penny has dropped and he knows he’s under pressure.

“I’m past having people here who aren’t pushing for first-team spots.”

Lloyd’s chance may come in Friday’s home game against Hull KR, though Wane may be tempted to recall dropped Larne Patrick or Ryan Sutton instead.

A place in the pack has opened up following Wane’s decision to switch Joel Tomkins second-row to centre to cover for the loss of Gelling.

Scans revealed the Kiwi tore his hamstring during Wigan’s 40-22 win at Wakefield and will be sidelined for six to eight weeks.

Wane had considered played England winger Josh Charnley at centre had he not aggravated an ankle injury in training.

Sean O’Loughlin is back running and should be fit for next Friday’s visit of Castleford.