SHAUN Wane has welcomed plans to cut the number of interchanges – but urged the decision-makers to move swiftly.
The new Rugby Football League Laws Committee has proposed that substitutions be cut from the current 12 down to 10, with clubs still naming four players on the bench.
The idea has yet to be ratified by the clubs but is expected to be in place for the start of Super League XVII on February 3.
The move would bring Super League – and the Championship – in line with international rugby league and the NRL,
Wane has heard whispers of the proposed change and wants a firm decision to be made as soon as possible, to help his staff prepare players accordingly ahead of the new campaign.
He said: “It obviously has an impact if you have 10 or 12 interchanges on what we do in training. If it happens, we’ll deal with it, the important thing is we are given plenty of time.
“From an international point of view it makes sense to have the Super League in line with what the Australians and Kiwis are doing in the NRL and in Test matches.
“I must admit, 12 does seem quite a lot – I would prefer it lower but as long as it’s the same for all teams then it doesn’t matter too much. The important thing for me is knowing as soon as possible so we can change training accordingly and plan for it.”
Wigan are deep into their pre-season training schedule and have one more week at their base in Orrell before jetting off to Florida.
“All the lads are really ripping in – they’re all hungry to do well,” said Wane.
“I’m really pleased with the way things are going.”
Welsh forward Ben Flower reported for training yesterday and Wane was impressed with the way the 24-year-old settled in.
He said: “He’s a good kid and I’m really looking forward to working with him. He’ll be a good signing for us.”
Flower’s former Crusaders and Wales pack-mate Gil Dudson reported for training a week ago while ex-Hull FC prop Epalahame Lauaki has been with the squad since the first day of pre-season last month.
Wigan are also thought to be closing in on Kiwi centre Anthony Gelling though there has been no official confirmation from the club.
Gelling, 21, would strengthen the three-quarters – currently Darrell Goulding and George Carmont are the only front-line centres in the squad. His capture would likely be Wigan’s last before 2012.