Wane set to tackle McIlorum charge

Michael McIlorum in action at Cas

Michael McIlorum in action at Cas

3
Have your say

WIGAN will today challenge the reckless high tackle charge levied at Mike McIlorum.

Castleford’s Kirk Dixon was left with a broken jaw after a hit by the England hooker during Sunday’s 36-31 defeat.

McIlorum wasn’t carded by the referee, but the RFL’s match review panel yesterday gave him a Grade C charge which carries a suspension of up to three weeks.

McIlorum would get a two week ban if he submits an early guilty plea before 11am today.

But after viewing footage of the incident, coach Shaun Wane said last night they intended to challenge it in front of the RFL’s disciplinary panel this evening.

If the Warriors can convince them that the high tackle was careless – rather than reckless – the charge, and punishment, may be reduced.

Wigan face Hull KR (Friday), Warrington and Catalan in their next three games.

Should McIlorum be banned and with Sam Powell out with an ankle injury, Wigan’s other obvious option for the hooker role is Logan Tomkins.

But Wane did switch captain Sean O’Loughlin to the dummy-half role for a spell during the World Club Challenge.

Powell could be back in a month.

Meanwhile, Castleford winger Justin Carney was given a Grade A charge of punching after an altercation with John Bateman.

The Australian was suspended three times in the 2013 season.

WIGAN forward Greg Burke is facing a spell on the sidelines after a scan confirmed he dislocated his shoulder while playing for Bradford on Friday.

The 21-year-old only joined the Bulls on a month-long loan last week. He left the pitch during the second-half of the Bulls’ 44-16 loss to Hull FC, who had ex-Warrior Chris Tuson on debut.

Wane said it was too soon to put a time-frame on how long Burke will be missing but confirmed he expected to be without him for several weeks.

FORMER Wigan prop Epa Lauaki is aiming to relaunch his career in the NRL after signing a one-year deal with Manly.

The 30-year-old had a year left on his contract with the Super League champions but asked to be able to return home for personal reasons.

SEAN Long has rejoined Salford’s staff, his sixth coaching appointment in a year which included a short stint with hometown club Wigan.