DCSIMG

Departing Cam thanks fans

Cameron Phelps

Cameron Phelps

CAMERON Phelps has been told he will not be offered a new deal by Wigan.

While his departure will not come as a shock, the out-of-contract Australian was only informed this week that he will need to look elsewhere.

Phelps confirmed his exit to the Evening Post and said: “I want to thank the Wigan fans for all the support they’ve shown me. They’ve been great with me from day one.”

The 25-year-old former Canterbury Bulldogs star will now begin looking for a new Super League club for 2011.

Phelps – who is currently back home in Sydney – was in scorching form at the start of this year in the full-back spot, before a cruel knee injury derailed his campaign. He recovered, but failed to squeeze back into the first-team and ended the season in the Under-20s.

In total he played just six games for Wigan this year, and with a clutch of exciting young three-quarters emerging from the junior ranks, the club decided against offering him a contract for 2011.

Warriors may confirm his departure within days.

Phelps’ exit means there are just two players from the 2010 campaign, Paul Deacon and Karl Pryce, who have yet to formalise their future plans.

Scrum-half Deacon is almost certain to land a new one-year playing deal, to run alongside his coaching arrangement, while there is growing speculation that Pryce may also be retained. The towering winger scored 13 tries in nine matches last season.

Regardless of his fate, chairman Ian Lenagan indicated earlier this month that Wigan are unlikely to strengthen their squad with any additional signings following their mid-season swoop for Melbourne trio Ryan Hoffman, Jeff Lima and Brett Finch.

l JOEL Tomkins may be switched to centre against Australia this Sunday to cover for the loss of Michael Shenton.

Winger Darrell Goulding’s place is under threat following the return to fitness of Leeds flyer Ryan Hall.

l THE new Warriors World club shop will open its doors next Tuesday.

The retail outlet will move from its current position to the site on the ground floor next to Debenhams.

Warriors World opened in the Grand Arcade a year ago and has proved a huge hit. The new site will be on a long-term lease.

Alongside the new Warriors World will also be a Walk of Fame which will honour some of the great players that have represented Wigan.

Head of retail Paul Stanworth said: “The new prime position will continue to offer our supporters a great location to be able to purchase the great range of official merchandise.

“I’m sure that our fans will love the new store. With new stock due in the build up to Christmas we fully expect the new Warriors World to be a popular destination.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page