Alarm warning escape

Share this article

AN elderly woman escaped a kitchen fire thanks to her smoke alarm.

The pensioner evacuated her home in Poolstock Lane, Worsley Mesnes, after an electrical fault caused her washing machine to set on fire at 10.30am on Sunday.

The smoke caused the alarm to sound and the woman left the house and called the fire service.

The fire caused substantial damage to the washing machine and surrounding tiles.

Crew commander Simon Connor said: “Luckily the woman had recently taken advantage of our free home fire risk assessment, which, along with her working smoke alarm, helped her escape.”