Arrest over stabbing

Scene pic of Marsh Green stabbing
Scene pic of Marsh Green stabbing

A MAN has been arrested following a stabbing incident in Wigan.

The 23-year-old was questioned on suspicion of wounding with intent and remains in police custody.

Officers raced to a house in Marsh Green after the violent stabbing on Tuesday afternoon.

The 34-year-old victim was bleeding heavily from his wound and a woman could be seen with him desperately trying to stem it with a cloth.

It is the latest in a series of violent incidents on the estate in recent weeks although there is nothing to suggest this is linked to either a shooting or baseball bat attack on two homes.

Police quickly taped off the home which is opposite Marsh Green Primary School and began house to house inquiries.

The unnamed victim was taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary having sustained several knife wounds to the chest. His injuries thought not to be life-threatening.

The incident happened at around 4.05pm in Kitt Green Road, which is a very busy street in the rush hour.

A witness, who asked to remain anonymous, said: “I saw a man outside the house that now has the tape around it, he was lying down on the ground.

“He was clutching at his chest, at his side, and a woman was pushing down on it to stop the bleeding.

“He’d been stabbed. An ambulance came before and he went in it and there’s been loads of police around.

“I don’t know who he was. There was a shooting over the road last month. It’s not safe round here.”

It was in the early hours of July 29 that shots were fired through the window of a house in Viscount Road and then another at a couple who were just passing by.

And early on June 22 masked men burst into two houses in Hampden Place, Marsh Green, and battered several occupants and wrecked property.

Police say it is very early in the investigation and no arrests have yet been made.

But anyone with information is asked to ring police on 101 or the freephone Crimestoppers line anonymously on 0800 555111.