A WIGAN resident accused of burning asbestos is being investigated by Environment Agency.
Angry neighbours in Haigh have made a formal complaint after saying they spotted a man dumping dangerous waste and light up continuous fires at the back of his home.
Neighbours reported the incidents to Wigan Council and the Environment Agency after they suspected seeing him burning dangerous asbestos sheets.
A resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “It’s absolutely disgraceful.
“We see him dumping industrial waste all of the time. His company specialises in demolition and therefore we think he is burning materials in a skip, including asbestos sheets at his own home. The smoke billows all over Haigh Hall, which is a place of natural beauty, goodness knows what visitors must think. We’re scared of speaking out in fear of the repercussions but we can’t put up with this much longer, it’s dangerous – it’s an environmental catastrophe waiting to happen.
“It’s affecting a lot of people, not just us but people passing through Haigh Hall as the smoke is blowing in all directions and it has to be stopped.”
Residents, witnesses and visitors to the area are being encouraged to report issues immediately. An Environment Agency spokesman said: “We are investigating complaints made by members of the public and the local authority about the site. We would encourage members of the public to call and report any issues or environmental pollution.”
Alan Blundell, Wigan Council’s assistant director for regulation services, added: “Earlier this year we received a number of complaints about burning at this location. We have been liaising with the Environment Agency who are leading the investigation and assisting them in collating evidence.”
Anyone with details is asked to ring the Environment Agency’s 24-hour hotline on 0800 807060.