Attackers’ sentence reduced

Arnold Hilton after the attack
Arnold Hilton after the attack

THE devastated son of a pensioner attacked in a sickening raid by a Wigan couple has slammed the “crazy” decision to reduce their sentences.

Laurynas Dauksas and Aurelisa Galdikaite subjected 89-year-old Arnold Hilton to a brutal attack when they ransacked his Up Holland home last year. And only weeks after Mr Hilton died in a nursing home, his son Mark was today coming to terms with the news that his father’s attackers have both had a total of three years knocked off their jail terms.

He said: “My initial reaction is that it is disgusting. I will be very interested to hear the full reasons behind the decision to cut the sentences. It’s just crazy.

“And this is just after my father’s death. He never recovered from those injuries and now this has happened. He died as a direct result of that attack. It’s devastating.”

Dauksas, 25, and Galdikaite, 24, of Bronte Close, Worsley Mesnes, admitted robbery and received 11 and nine-year prison terms respectively in November having savagely beaten the pensioner in search of cash.

Mr Hilton, a father of five, lost the use of his legs following the onslaught and lost his independence, resulting in his having to move into a nearby nursing home.

But lawyers for the pair argued that the sentences were too severe as there were no weapons used and both have had their sentences reduced to nine years and four months for Dauksas and seven years and eight months for Galdikaite.

Appeals Court Judge, Mr Justice Mackay said that, while the offence was horrific, the sentences handed to the pair were near the maximum available for their crime.

Sitting with Lord Justice Moore-Bick and Sir David Maddison, he added: “The sentences imposed by the judge left insufficient headroom for the sentencing of even worse cases of this kind – those where weapons are used and torture is deployed.”

But Mr Hilton’s family are in complete shock having been unaware of the Appeals Court hearing.

Mark said: “I had no idea this was going to happen, I will have to speak with my brothers and sister and will go over the full details.

“At his funeral we were talking to police officers who attended the scene and saw my father after the attack. They were telling us how much of an effect it had on them.”

Speaking to the Evening Post last month, Mark had said that the original sentence had been too lenient and said that his father never really recovered from the traumatic attack.

He said: “I would have put them away for longer but that goes without saying because I’m personally involved.”

The pair, who are originally from Lithuania, will still face deportation from the UK after they have served their sentences.