Banned motorist winds up in jail

Crime story
Crime story

A WIGAN motorist has been jailed after he was caught behind the wheel of his car... just minutes after being banned.

Kieron Pemberton, of Isabella Square, Scholes, had his licence taken away for 14 months on Monday at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court having pleaded guilty to failing to provide a breath sample on a previous date.

However, upon leaving court, a police officer who had been present at the hearing saw the 29-year-old get into his car and start to drive away towards Darlington Street East.

He was pulled over and arrested to re-appear before the justices yesterday where he was sentenced to 12 weeks’ in prison.

Mike Ardern, prosecuting, told the court: “When he left the court, the officer was exiting the nearby supermarket and saw him (Pemberton) walking and holding a car key.

“Mr Pemberton opened the driver’s door and drove to the give way junction with Darlington Street East.

“The officer pulled in front of him, got out and pointed out to him he had just been disqualified and then arrested him.”

Andrew Stock, defending, explained how Pemberton, who pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified, got behind the wheel to take the car back to his address where it would be sold.

“If he could take that decision back he would do,” said Mr Stock.

“It was a foolish and stupid thing to do. It is something that with the benefit of hindsight would never have happened.

“There was a complete lack of foresight which led to a decision he wishes he could take back.”

Mr Stock appealed for the magistrate to suspend any sentence, pointing to the way Pemberton has changed his life around.

He has been previously sent to jail on a number of occasions, including a five-year sentence and two three-and-a-half year sentences. However, he has been out of trouble for some time and is now in full-time employment.

“He lives with his partner and works as a surveyor,” added Mr Stock.

“He now lives a normal lifestyle and has achieved a great deal in the last few years.

“The seriousness of this matter is not lost on him.

“I would ask you to suspend any period in prison. He is fit and able to do any unpaid work.”

However, the presiding magistrate decided against this and jailed Pemberton for 12 weeks, telling him: “It would have been 18 weeks but for the early guilty plea.

“This offence is so serious that only a custodial sentence can be given.

“It indicates an indifference and disregard to the court’s order. You will serve half of the sentence in prison and half on supervision.”