Barn destroyed after fuel spillage sparks fire at Wigan farm

A barn was destroyed when a blaze was accidentally started at a farm in Wigan.

By Gaynor Clarke
Tuesday, 17th August 2021, 4:43 pm
Updated Tuesday, 17th August 2021, 4:44 pm

Kerosene was being put into heaters when some of it spilled and ignited at Talbot House Farm in Standish on Tuesday.

Four fire engines attended at 11.30am and crews worked to bring the blaze under control, but the barn was destroyed.

As the kerosene tank had ruptured, work also needed to be done to prevent the chemical entering a local water source.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Four fire engines attended

Firefighters spent three-and-a-half hours dealing with the incident on Platt Lane.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here