Bizarre burgler just wanted comfort

Share this article

A PENSIONER has told of her shock when a drunken burglar tried making himself at home in her house.

The 79-year-old was woken by the sound of Ashley Walker smashing down the back door.

But after that initial act of violence, he told the stunned occupant he meant her no harm, and then went searching for food in the kitchen and said he needed a nap.

Liverpool Crown Court heard the outraged pensioner rang relatives for help, and her son-in-law soon arrived.

There was a brief scuffle in which 21-year-old Walker suffered a black eye, and he was held until police arrived at the home in Atherton Road, Hindley, to make an arrest.

The intruder was found with a packet of meat down his trousers along with cash, postage stamps and other paper items he had stolen.

This week Walker, also of Atherton Road, Hindley Green, was spared jail after pleading guilty to burglary.

Recorder Nicholas Fewtrell made a 12-month community order, and ordered him to carry out 200 hours’ unpaid work, and imposed a six-month curfew between 8pm and 7am.

He also ordered him to attend an alcohol course, and pay £400 compensation.

Today, the brave victim, who did not wish to be identified, said: “I was more shocked and angry than frightened.

“The lad wasn’t scary, although it did give me a start when I heard this bang at 2am.

“I thought it was thunder at first, but then, when I realised that someone was in the house, I put the light on in the hope it would make him go away. I thought I would also move into the other bedroom, but when I crossed the landing, there was this young man standing at the bottom of the stairs. He was drunk and I think he thought he was in his own house.

“He said ‘you don’t need to worry’ and never came upstairs towards me or threatened me.

“He was roaming about downstairs and at one point went to the fridge.

“He spun me some tale about my grandson giving him a key so he could kip here for the night, but that was rubbish.

“Fortunately I had a phone upstairs, and had rung my son and son-in-law by then and he came round and grabbed him. The lad said ‘don’t call the police’, but we already had.

“We heard later he had been out at a Boxing Day party, but was thrown out of a taxi on his way home.”

In court, the judge told Walker the incident “must have been horrific and terrifying” for the victim, but said it was an “out-of-character, opportunistic offence committed while drunk”.

Karen Brooks, prosecuting, said Walker had caused £400 damage to the door.

When interviewed, he said he had been drunk and could not remember what happened. He has one previous conviction for being drunk and disorderly.

Duncan Phillips, defending, said Walker knew he deserved the black eye he received in the incident, the night in the cells and a month under a curfew.

“He went out that night to have a good time with friends and ended up committing an offence he cannot explain.”

He is a binge drinker, but has not drunk since the incident, despite living in a public house with his mother, he said.