Booze binge yob’s brick attack shame

Crime news
Crime news

A WIGAN man downed more than 30 bottles of lager before throwing a brick through a kitchen window which struck a woman.

Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court was told Damien Simm became involved in an argument with the occupants of a flat on Linney Square, Scholes, after a 12-hour booze binge.

Simm, who also lives in Linney Square, pleaded guilty to charges of criminal damage to the front door lock and the double-glazed window and of assault.

Mike Ardern, prosecuting, told justices Simm started kicking the door of a first-floor flat and shouting at the occupants to provide him with some cigarettes at around 12.50am on March 9.

The couple living in the flat went to the kitchen window but was spotted by Simm, who became threatening and the police were called.

However, Mr Ardern said Simm returned at around 3am and again kicked the door while shouting, but when the occupants went to the kitchen window he threw a brick, which hit the woman living there in the neck and showered her with glass.

Mr Ardern said: “The occupants initially ignored the banging but it continued, and there was also some abuse through the letterbox. The police said Simm was drunk and vocal, and they warned him about his behaviour after the first incident. The second time they went to the kitchen window they saw he was holding a brick, and the glass totally smashed. Fortunately her injuries were not particularly serious, although they could have been.”

Police were called following the second incident and found Simm had run off, but later arrested him at another address. He initially denied but later admitted throwing the brick, telling police he had been drinking since noon the previous day and had consumed more than 30 bottles of beer in the company of two other people.

Mr Ardern said: “By the end of the interview he showed remorse, and said he would apologise to both parties.”

Melissa Fagan, defending, asked for full credit to be given to Simm for his guilty plea and admission of responsibility.

The magistrates sentenced Simm to a 12-month community order including elements of supervision and the requirement to undertake programmes set out by the probation service.

Simm was also ordered to complete 200 hours’ unpaid work, told to pay £100 compensation each to the homeowner and Wigan Council for damaging the flat and given a £60 victims’ surcharge to pay.