Borough war memorial to be restored thanks to £13k grant

Members of the fabric committee at the war memorial from left, Grant Barr, Geoff Maines, Rev Jonathan Stott and Alan Baldwin and, below, Rev Stott in the grounds of Lowton St Lukes Church
Members of the fabric committee at the war memorial from left, Grant Barr, Geoff Maines, Rev Jonathan Stott and Alan Baldwin and, below, Rev Stott in the grounds of Lowton St Lukes Church

A memorial commemorating lives lost in war will receive a major restoration thanks to a funding boost of more than £13,000.

The committee responsible for maintaining the sculpture outside St Luke’s Church in Lowton have secured financial help to spruce up and repair the deteriorating monument.

Reverent Stott

Reverent Stott

First commissioned in 1919, the memorial lists those killed in action during World War One with a book added later recording local victims of World War Two.

The object now needs a considerable amount of work doing to arrest its disrepair and decline and this will now happen thanks to £13,710 of investment from the Grants for War Memorials scheme and local councillors’ Brighter Borough money.

Geoff Maines from the fabric committee, which is an offshoot of the church’s council, said: “The war memorial is a prominent feature in the community.

“With it being the centenary of the end of World War One this year we thought it was the right time.

“This is something we needed to do because of the significant deterioration of the stone work.

“It needs to be addressed before it deteriorates further.

“The general repair, maintenance and cleaning will hopefully make it as good as new.

“The bronze plaques are going to be taken off and cleaned, missing fixings will be replaced and the steps leading up the memorial which have become dislodged will be re-bedded in.

“New sandstone is also being prepared for the worst-affected areas.

“It is quite susceptible to weathering and cracks and this has happened at a number of points around the base of the plinth.

“It’s right and proper at this time to do this work so we can hand it on to the community in a good state.”

Backing for the repair work has come from elected representatives including Conservative Coun James Grundy for Lowton East ward and the war memorials scheme which is supported by Historic England and the Wolfson Foundation.

Frances Moreton, director of the War Memorials Trust, said: “War memorials are a tangible connection to our shared past creating a link between the fallen and today.

“It is vital we ensure all our war memorials are in the best possible condition for their age and the charity is delighted to support this project.

“The centenary of World War I is a wonderful opportunity for local communities across the country to protect and conserve their war memorials.”

The Lowton war memorial was dedicated in 1921 and is a prominent feature on the junction of Slag Lane and Church Lane.

The fabric committee has carried out a long fund-raising campaign for the grants.