Braiden’s family faced with another trauma

Braiden Prescott with his new baby brother Kody
Braiden Prescott with his new baby brother Kody
Share this article

IT was meant to be the happiest time of their lives.

Stephanie Reece, 22, and Wayne Prescott, of Wigan, had just welcomed the birth of their third child, Kody, and then their four-year-old son, Braiden Prescott had been given the all-clear for his neuroblastoma.

But the family suffered another devastating blow as one-month-old Kody was diagnosed with meningitis.

Wayne, 34, said: “Last week, Kody woke up screaming at a pitch we had not heard before. We went to the hospital and doctors said he had trapped wind and a stomachache. But the next day, he was the same and after going to our GP, we were told to go to A&E. He had no signs of meningitis, but we are over cautious and our first instinct is to catch it as soon as we can.

“Luckily, it was viral meningitis and not bacterial, which is the worst one.

“As soon as we heard the word meningitis, we thought the worst, but I have to keep calm for the rest of the family and get on with it.

“It has been hard on us all, especially as we had to keep Tyler, two, and Braiden, in school. Braiden was unable to go to the hospital to see him because of his weak immune system,

“But at least Kody is okay and he is back home. He just has to have a follow up hearing test, but we are sure that is fine.

“Braiden is happy to see his new little brother. He is always asking to feed him and help change him.”

The dramatic events happened just several days after Braiden was told he was in remission following his diagnosis of neuroblastoma,

Wayne said: “Braiden has got to go back to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital for a consultation and review and we are hoping to get a date to take out his hickman line (central venous catheter used for the administration of chemotherapy).

“Instead he now has to have chemotherapy tablets for a week and then three weeks off and this will carry on for the rest of his life.

“We are so relieved and we now have our life back and can do normal things as a family.”

The family is still fund-raising to pay back money for the failed treatment in America. To help, visit