Brawl led to court appearance

editorial image
Share this article

A WIGAN man lost control and threw a chair at a barmaid after mixing alcohol with his medication.

Dayle Scully, 22, of Duke Street, Platt Bridge, admitted assaulting Katie Latham, when he appeared at Wigan Magistrates’ Court.

Mike Ardern, prosecuting, told the court that on Friday, August 3, Scully, who was heavily intoxicated, had entered the Queen’s Arms pub in Platt Bridge.

He said: “He was scrambling about, went to take someone else’s drink and knocked another drink over.

“Ms Latham asked the defendant to leave, but he didn’t and went out of sight.

“He was trying to get served at the bar and then tried to get other people to get him a drink.”

Ms Latham again asked Scully to leave and he grabbed her hand to apologise, bending her fingers back.

A few hours later, at closing time, Ms Latham asked people to leave and Scully made lewd and ‘inappropriate’ remarks.

He then exposed himself and then threw a metal chair towards the 22-year-old bar maid.

Mr Ardern said: “Ms Latham was shocked and offended when he exposed himself.

“The chair did not hit Ms Latham’s head, but the left side of her body.

“She was holding a number of glasses and they smashed.

“She could see blood coming from her left hand and she started to cry and went behind the bar.”

Scully then continued to shout abuse at Ms Latham.

Mr Ardern added that Ms Latham sustained cuts to her index and middle fingers.

Karen Schofield, defending, said that Scully did not remember the event, and what he did recall was from what others had told him.

She said that he was heavily intoxicated after mixing his epilepsy medication with alcohol, but accepts responsibility,

She said: “He was sincerely remorseful for his behaviour and accepts the young girl was distressed and hurt.

“He believes he did not expose himself and officers viewed CCTV footage and have not charged him for that offence.”

When asked about his actions, Scully, who is a single father of two children, said: “They were stupid and I am really sorry. It won’t happen again.”

Scully, who has previous convictions for similar offences, was given a 12-week custodial sentence, suspended for 12 months, with a short-term alcohol duration programme and supervision requirement.

He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation.