Burglar’s hotel booze raid

The Springfield Hotel
The Springfield Hotel

AN opportunistic burglar who ransacked a Wigan hotel gained entry through a door left unlocked after opening hours, a court heard.

Carlos Desousa, of Meadow Street, Wigan, stole cash, a till and bottles of spirits totalling £1,100 from the Springfield Hotel last year.

The 40-year-old received a suspended sentence at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

Katy Beattie, prosecuting, told the court that Desousa, who has a history of psychological problems, had entered the hotel in the early hours of November 21.

A witness statement from landlord Stephen Hart said he was unaware one of the hotel’s entrances had been left unlocked after the staff left at about 1am.

In the morning, Mr Hart found that a till had been ripped out – causing damage to electrical wires - and spirits and money were missing, the court heard.

Ms Beattie said: “Detectives inspected the property and a set of fingerprints belonging to Mr Desousa were found on a glass.

“He initially denied the offence and said he found the till and goods outside. But he then admitted his involvement.

“He said he had been walking past the pub and found that it was open so he went inside.”

There was disagreement in the court room regarding how much damage Desousa had caused and the cost of the stolen goods.

Mr Hart’s statement said the landlord had applied for more than £4,000.

Bob Toppin, defending, said: “The landlord is asking for £240 for 12 bottles of spirits. If he is paying that much for a bottle he has been done.

“All that has happened is some wires have been pulled from the till.”

Addressing the magistrates, Mr Toppin added: “I don’t think you would be able to ask for £4,000.

“I appreciate that my client could have gone straight into custody today.

“He has mental health issues and I would suggest that psychosis and a curfew is not a particularly good mix.”

The magistrates imposed a 7pm to 7am curfew for 12 weeks.

Desousa, who pleaded guilty, received a 12 week custodial sentence suspended for 12 months and will be subject to a supervision requirement for 12 months.

He was ordered to pay £520 costs to the hotel’s landlord.