WIGAN-born TV newscaster Kay Burley will not be investigated by Ofcom over alleged bullying of an Alton Towers boss during an interview, despite thousands of complaints to the watchdog.
More than 55,000 people signed a petition calling for the Sky News presenter to be sacked for the combative way she grilled theme park chief executive officer Nick Varney over the Smiler ride crash.
And the number of complaints to Ofcom almost reached the 2,000 mark - one of the highest numbers generated by any programme in the last year.
But a spokesman said: “Ofcom received a number of complaints about Kay Burley’s questioning style during an interview about an accident at Alton Towers.
“We have carefully assessed whether this interview exceeded generally accepted standards.”
The regulator said it was not moving to a formal investigation because Mr Varney was given ample opportunity to put his position on the accident to viewers.
“In our view, the interviewee was able to respond fully to the questions and put his position across,” said the spokesman. “As a result we have not taken the matter forward for investigation.”
In the June 3 interview, Ms Burley pressed Mr Varney to reveal whether one of the victims had lost a leg.
He replied: “We are deeply sorry for the accident, “ to which Ms Burley said: “I’m sure they are not interested in your sympathy.
“They have potentially lost a limb - you won’t tell us if they have or not.”