Car wash shooting suspect still on bail

The prime suspect in an horrific shooting on a busy Wigan road remains on bail more than 14 months after the attack.

Monday, 13th June 2016, 8:00 am
Updated Monday, 13th June 2016, 12:24 pm
The car wash, in Bolton Road, Ashton, where there was a shooting

Jamie Rothwell was gunned down as he visited a car wash on Bolton Road, Ashton-in-Makerfield, on March 30 last year.

The 28-year-old was hit by three bullets fired by a masked figure who got out of a car and fired across the main road.

Two of the projectiles struck the victim in the stomach, leaving him seriously injured, and the third hit him in the arm, shattering a bone.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A suspected getaway car was later found on Mossdale Road, Bryn, and was seized by police.

It was believed that the incident was linked to a Salford gang feud which had spilled over into Wigan borough.

Earlier that same day a grenade attack had taken place at a house on the city’s Duchy estate. Nine days before that, on Agecroft Road, Salford, a man suffered mutiple injuries in a machete attack and another man suffered a minor injury in Irlam o’th’ Heights in the February after he was hit with shotgun pellets.

Police have made several arrests in relation to these attacks. And a man - then aged 50, now 51 - was also arrested in Salford on suspicion of attempted murder for the shooting at the Express Hot Hand Car Wash.

Investigating officers were quick to point out after the shooting that the Ashton business had nothing to do with the incident, other than the victim happened to be there at the time. They and local residents also condemned the gunman’s irresponsibility in firing across a busy main road, saying it was lucky that passers-by had not also been injured in the crossfire.

The chief investigating officer added that Mr Rothwell himself was fortunate not to have been even more seriously harmed.

He gradually recovered and was himself later jailed for 18 months at Manchester Crown Court after pleading guilty to a charge of money-laundering.

But the inquiry into the various violent crimes is still ongoing. A GMP spokesman confirmed today that the 51-year-old remained on bail pending the continuing inquiries.

Anyone with details about the Ashton attack is asked to call police on 0161 856 9283 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.