Care home slammed over OAP’s death


A WIGAN care home where a frail dementia patient died after being found collapsed in a pool of blood needs reviewing, an inquest has ruled.

Assistant coroner Kevin McLoughlin criticised the owners of Dean Wood Manor at Orrell for not sending a director to testify and ordered Mimosa Healthcare draws up a scheduled report.

His order came after Jean Aspey, 72, who was a resident at the home, died in Wigan Infirmary last summer just days after staff discovered her bleeding on the floor in her wheelchair. It was speculated that she was pushed over by another resident.

The court heard that the report should ensure the safety of the residents living in close proximity of other dementia patients who are known to be aggressive.

It should particularly focus on staffing levels and the possible introduction of CCTV in public areas at the home.

Spokesman and area manager for Mimosa Healthcare, Donna Baker, who has only been in the role for six weeks, agreed that she would welcome an increase in staff. This would be to ensure that there was more time spent with residents, especially those who need extra support, she said.

Having only been employed in that position of responsibility for such a short space of time, Ms Baker found it difficult to comment on the details of case.

And Mr McLoughlin told the hearing at Bolton Coroner’s Court: “I find it astonishing that someone of director level hasn’t attended this inquest. With no director present at an inquest and to send somebody who hasn’t been in the role long must provide an insight as to the importance the company places on a fatality. It is singularly unimpressive.”

The court had earlier heard how Mrs Aspey was left in a lounge at the home while a carer cleared away her dinner plates.

The pensioner had been strapped to her specially assigned chair by care worker Michelle Gee for safety.

It was to help her sit up straight as she tended to lean to one side as a result of her illness.

The court was told that there were two other residents, who were only identified as Mr A and Mr B throughout the hearing, in the lounge with Mrs Aspey at the time of the incident.

Carer and laundry assistant Anne Fairhurst told the court that although Mr A was sometimes known to be aggressive she left him alone for a few minutes in the room.

She said she acted on “instinct” to leave him while she fetched his tea as he had been lethargic that day.

After the incident Mr B was described by the staff as being more agitated than usual.

Under the home’s guidelines, Mr A should have been under observation by staff at all times, while Mr B should have been seen every 30 minutes.

Staff told the court it was unlikely she would have fallen by herself.

Recording anarrative verdict, assistant coroner, Kevin McLoughlin, said: “I offer my sincere sympathies to the family.”