Cell find sparked flashpoint

Share this article

A SUSPECT became violent with officers at Wigan Police Station after removing a metal shank from the lining of his shoe.

Damien Pasquill, 25, was being detained in the cells at the police station’s custody suite when officers spotted a metal shank in his hand.

Jayne Kearsley, prosecuting, told Wigan Magistrates’ Court how officers then joined forces to forcibly restrain the defendant in the early hours of June 23.

Shortly before 2.30am an officer looked through the peep hole of the cell Pasquill was being detained in and saw the defendant standing near the rear wall with a small metal shank in his right hand.

It later transpired that Pasquill had removed the shank from the lining of one of his ankle boots. After returning with a colleague, the officer twice asked the defendant to drop the item – but he refused.

As Pasquill had made a series of threats towards officers during his time in custody that night, the duo decided to enter the cell, restrain the defendant and seize the shank.

But, when they rushed into the cell, the defendant immediately began to lash out at them.

After a prolonged struggle, the officers eventually wrestled Pasquill to the floor and “several minutes later” he relinquished his grip on the shank.

The officers kept the defendant restrained on the floor until he had calmed down.

Pasquill made no comment when questioned about the offence in interview.

Describing it as “an unusual case”, Bill Pearson, defending Pasquill, explained that his client had been at the station for several hours and was merely going to use the shank to carve his name in the wall of the cell.

He added that Pasquill had only refused to drop the item because he was worried about getting in more trouble.

Mr Pearson, who told how he was “confident there will be no repeat” of the offence, also argued that his client warranted credit for his early guilty plea.

Magistrates ordered Pasquill, of Leigh Road, Leigh, to pay a £90 fine, £85 towards prosecution costs and a £15 victim surcharge.