Children evacuated and pregnant woman taken to hospital after Wigan nursery fire
Children were evacuated and a pregnant woman was taken to hospital after a kitchen fire at a Wigan nursery.
The blaze broke out at the “Little People” daycare centre on Holly Road in Aspull at around midday this afternoon (Tuesday).
Fire crews from Wigan arrived at the scene to find a plastic food tray which had been in contact with a hob, causing it to melt and burst into flames.
Watch manager Carl Gleaves, said that a pregnant woman had been taken to hospital as a “precautionary measure” after suffering from smoke inhalation and that 27 children had been evacuated from the building by staff members.
“We recommended that parents take their children home for the day,” he said. “After that we advised staff about how to make the building safe so that it can be open for business tomorrow.
“If the right precautions have been taken it will be ok to open but specialists need to be called in such as electricians and gas engineers.”
Firefighters were called after staff attempted to douse the flames with a fire extinguisher on the property.
Watch manager Gleaves said: “The temptation is to try and put out a fire with an extinguisher because they are there and people feel obliged.
“Fire extinguishers are there to help aid with escape not to make you tackle fires yourself. Members of the public should make sure they are safe first and then call the emergency services who will put out the fire.”