A popular Wigan chippy has been badly damaged by a fire.
Staff and customers at Mr English Traditional Fish and Chips in Bryn had to be evacuated when a blaze broke out at 7pm last night (Friday).
The fire service was called as flames quickly spread through the building, which has a takeaway and restaurant area.
Two engines from Wigan fire station attended and spent several hours extinguishing the blaze and securing the building.
Fortunately there wasn’t much damage to the restaurant part of the shop but the fire did tear through the kitchen food preparation area with bits of the ceiling coming down too.
A spokesman from Wigan fire station spoke of “significant damage” and said that a member of staff had tried to battle the blaze himself with an extinguisher before crews arrived but the flames quickly spread.