Cigarette blaze

News story
News story
Share this article

FIRE chiefs have warned against smoking in bed after three people were led to safety after a cigarette burnt out.

Crews were called to Lynton Road, in Tyldesley, shortly after midnight on Sunday after man in his 30s had fallen asleep whilst smoking.

His sister noticed smoke coming from the bedroom and alerted her 15-year-old son. They then both dragged the man out the smoke-filled room.

Firefighters using breathing apparatus arrived shortly afterwards and led all three occupants to safety.

They declined hospital treatment.

The blaze destroyed the mattress and caused smoke damage to the bedroom and upstairs rooms.

Watch manager David Holden said: “We recommend that people do not smoke when they are tired, and specifically not in bed as it can spark a fire.

“The family did not have a working smoke alarm, so it was lucky the woman was still awake and saw the smoke, to alert others.

“Our crews were at the scene for two hours, using breathing apparatus and two hose reels.

“There was substantial smoke damage to the whole of the upper floor. The fire damage was confined to the bedroom.

“We also had to help the family find somewhere else to live. Our fire support unit, run by volunteers, provided them with somewhere to sit with a warm drink and they had access to phones to find a suitable place to stay.”