Community order for racist tirade

Crime news
Crime news
Share this article

A WIGAN man hurled a foul-mouthed racist rant at a relative’s neighbour while under the influence of alcohol, a court heard.

Daniel Harter, of Manning Avenue, Springfield, received a 12-month community order after pleading guilty at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court to racially-aggravated harassment.

Having been visited by bailiffs at his home on the morning of September 30, Harter went to his mother’s address on Fitzadam Street, Swinley, and started drinking, the court heard.

Mike Ardern, prosecuting, said Harter later that evening directed his tirade at 27-year-old Fitzadam Street resident Sibel Ereur.

The 31-year-old was heard to shout: “English, English, English. I’m more English than you I’ve got a tattoo on my leg to prove it.”

He later added in an expletive ridden barrage: “We’re gonna get you. They’re always spying, those Turkish.”

Ms Ereur, who the court was told is Turkish by birth and has lived at her address for more than five years, went round to a neighbour’s house who could also hear Harter’s shouts that included threats to “you and your grandchildren.”

In a witness impact statement read to the court, neighbour Terence Martin said: “The language was clearly racist, it made me feel angry, upset and disgusted.

“There’s no excuse for what he did, the incident left me shaking with anger.”

Although he recognised that most of the abuse had been directed at his neighbour, Mr Martin’s statement added that some of it was shouted while Ms Ereur was with him and therefore had been directed at him in part.

The court was told that Harter is a full-time carer for his auntie who lives at the same address as his mother.

Ms Ereur had told police following the incident that Wigan and Leigh Housing was investigating previous complaints made in relation to the Fitzadam Street address due to noise nuisance.

Mr Ardern said: “I am not suggesting that these were the fault of the defendant but he was named in relation to those matters. Sibel Ereur said she had not been personally threatened before what happened that night. She was in her bathroom and could see the defendant outside the rear of the house and he was shouting.”

Mr Ardern told the court that Harter had been drinking heavily during the day, consuming lager and wine.

When asked how drunk he was on a scale of one to 10, he had replied “10”.

Harter, who was not represented in court, said he was willing to attend an alcohol rehabilitation programme. He said: “I do not consider myself to be a racist, it was a stupid mistake on that day. I am sorry and regretful, I had too much to drink.”

A probation report read to the court stated that Harter had been “angry” after his visit from bailiffs that morning and his frustrations were fuelled by alcohol.

It stated “he does not have any outwardly racist views apparent in his day to day life.”

Harter received the community order with a requirement to attend an alcohol treatment programme in addition to 40 hours of unpaid work.

The presiding magistrate said: “Without the racial element to this case a fine would have been sufficient but because of it a community order is appropriate. If you had not pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity you would have received 60 hours of unpaid work.”

He was ordered to pay £295 costs, including £75 to each witness.