Smoke caused by fire in Wigan leaves residents not being able to breathe

A Wigan Fire Station crew attended the scene
A Wigan Fire Station crew attended the scene

A fire on a building site in Standish earlier today caused plumes of smoke to cover the roads and nearby houses.

A crew from Wigan Fire Station responded to a call around 12:45pm today from residents in Standish complaining about not being able to breathe because of the levels of smoke caused by the fire, which also clouded the vision of drivers.

Residents in the area were complaining about their homes being filled with smoke.

One fire engine attended the site near Aldi Supermarket in Standish, where a pile of burning waste was discovered.

The crew quickly put out the fire and used a bulldozer from the site to destroy the pile to prevent the smoke from spreading.

Fortunately, no injuries were sustained from the fire.