Conman builder is jailed after fleecing OAPs

editorial image

A WIGAN builder who fleeced pensioners out of thousands of pounds has been jailed after he was caught driving while disqualified.

When 25-year-old William Fouracre was sentenced in June for overpriced work on the Wirral in January last year he was given a nine-week suspended sentence for conning customers.

He began hanging round with a gang of travellers and was under peer pressure

Osman Munir defending

Liverpool Crown Court this week heard that Fouracre had breached that order by flouting a driving ban in July.

He had been convicted of fraud after Trading Standards officers launched an investigation after they received complaints about building and paving firms led by a Wirral man.

Fouracre, who was an associate of the man, was found to have invoiced a couple for £5,500 of work, which was actually valued at £2,730.

He admitted fraud and entering into a contract with that customers and others while failing to give them notice of their right to cancel and failing to provide his details on any document relating to his business.

As well as the suspended sentence he was ordered to carry out 125 hours of unpaid work and to pay £1,100 in costs and fines.

Ken Grant, prosecuting, told the court today that Fouracre was given a three-year driving ban in August 2013.

On July 1 this year police learnt he was driving in Wigan and after a patrol followed his car they stopped him and found he did not have a licence or insurance.

During police interviews Fouracre admitted driving around the Scholes area of Wigan. He then became emotional and said he needed the car in order to work.

The court heard that Fouracre, of Meadowgate, Beech Hill, has been banned from driving five times before.

Osman Munir, defending, said Fouracre started getting into trouble in his late teens.

He said: “He began hanging round with a gang of travellers and was under peer pressure.

“A lot of his convictions are for when he was driving with these travellers for labouring jobs.”

Mr Munir said Fouracre had now stopped seeing the travellers.

Recorder Andrew Long activated the suspended sentence and jailed Fouracre for a further 12 weeks.

He said: “I am very sorry, but you have left this court with nothing else that it can do with you. Enough is enough.”