Couple caught in Tunisia attack horror back safe

Police officers guard the scene of the attack in Sousse
Police officers guard the scene of the attack in Sousse

A WIGAN couple has returned home after witnessing the terrible massacre in Tunisia.

Katherine Fahey, of Hawkley Hall, took to Facebook to describe the tragic events that unfolded on a beach in Sousse last Friday.

Katherine Fahey, who has returned from Tunisia

Katherine Fahey, who has returned from Tunisia

She had gone to the resort for a week, but cut the trip short, fearing for her safety.

She posted: “Me and my partner were staying in a hotel not far from where the shootings happened and were on the beach ourselves.

“Absolutely terrifying. Flew home early with Thompson in the early hours of the morning on Saturday. No holiday is worth risking your life for. Deeply saddened by the whole experience and my thoughts go out to all of the families.”

A total of 38 people were killed when a Tunisian student linked to Islamic State carried out the gun attack - and it has been reported that up to 30 are British.

Absolutely terrifying. Flew home early with Thompson in the early hours of the morning on Saturday. No holiday is worth risking your life for. Deeply saddened by the whole experience and my thoughts go out to all of the families

Katherine Fahey

Meanwhile, another couple from the North West have been confirmed dead.

Denis Thwaites and his partner Elaine, aged 70 and 69, from Blackpool, were staying at the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba in Sousse when the attack took place.

Ex-Latics winger Marc Albrighton was also devastated when Sue Davey, the mother of his partner Chloe Fulford, was among the victims.

The Tunisian authorities said one Belgian and one German citizen had been identified among the dead, while Tunisians and French are also thought to have been victims.

The attack started at about noon on Friday when the gunman, who had posed as a swimmer but was carrying a rifle under a parasol, started shooting on the beach - near the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba and the Bellevue Hotel - before entering the Marhaba, continuing to shoot.

The gunman - named later as Seifeddine Rezgui, was then shot dead by police. Islamic State, which said it was behind the attack, named him as Abu Yahya al-Qayrawan.