Couple flee blaze

The window which the couple escaped through
The window which the couple escaped through
Share this article

A WIGAN couple are lucky to be alive after being forced to escape a blaze at their home by jumping out of a bedroom window.

A man and woman had to make their terrifying exit through the first floor window when their only way out was blocked by flames.

Fire crews were called to Elm Avenue, Golborne, at about 7pm on Thursday night to find the couple safely away from the house but with multiple injuries including burns as well as cuts from the dramatic jump.

The fire is thought to have been started accidentally when a sheet came into contact with a lamp, the bulb then overheated and set the sheet ablaze.