Court hears man was killed by just one push

Police at the scene of the assault on King Street
Police at the scene of the assault on King Street

A WIGAN man died from head injuries after being pushed backwards by an off duty doorman half his age, a court heard.

Michael Warhurst met his death after David Hanbury intervened when the victim was being spoken to by other doormen outside the Chicago Rock night club in Wigan town centre.

A Liverpool Crown Court jury heard that the doormen told Hanbury not to get involved but he ignored them and began speaking to the 60-year-old.

Graphic footage of the incident in the early hours of October 8 last year was played to the jurors in which Mr Warhurst, described as a loner, was seen being ejected from the foyer of the club because he was already intoxicated.

While he was still outside in an agitated state and swearing, the doormen told him to go home but he was not regarded as aggressive.

Hanbury, who by chance had been drinking in company including Mr Warhurst earlier that night in the nearby Last Orders pub, then arrived on the scene in King Street.

Hanbury, 30, who had finished working at another club three hours earlier, approached the doormen. “He was told not to get involved but the defendant did get involved and began to speak to Michael Warhurst,” said Simon Driver, prosecuting.

“The doormen told him they would deal with the problem but he told them that even though he did not work there they were all in it together, so to speak. He warned one of them that Mr Warhurst was capable of hurting him.”

The footage showed Hanbury standing in front of Mr Warhurst pointing at him and “then putting his hands towards his chest and pushing him quite forcibly backwards. He stumbled back across the road finally falling backwards hitting his head on the opposite kerb.” Hanbury walked off about 10 yards but then walked back to the prone figure and tried to bring him round and an ambulance was called. Mr Warhurst came to and got to his feet but then vomited and fell to the ground, said Mr Driver. Mr Warhurst, a divorced father-of-one, of Scot Lane, Newtown, was rushed to hospital where he was found to have suffered a rear skull fracture with bleeding to his brain. His condition was inoperable and he died just after noon the next day, October 9.

Hanbury, of Bluebell Avenue, Beech Hill, denies manslaughter. He told police Mr Warhurst had slipped as he eased him away from the club.