Crash terror

Solvita Indriksone with the mess left from a car crashing into her house at the weekend
Solvita Indriksone with the mess left from a car crashing into her house at the weekend

A WIGAN family narrowly escaped death after a car smashed through the front of their house and into their staircase.

The driver of an MG Rover lost control of his car in the early hours of Sunday morning and it ploughed straight through the front wall of the house, demolishing everything in its path in Plane Avenue, Worsley Hall.

Terrified Solvita Indriksone and her four children were in the house at the time. Latvian-born Solvita, 27, who was watching TV in the living room at the time said: “I heard a loud noise and when I stood up I saw the car had broken the front of our house.

“The driver tried to get the car started but couldn’t – then smoke started to come in.

“I was shouting to my children to come down and get out the back of the house, because I thought the car could explode.

“My son was the most scared, because he was sleeping above where the crash happened.

“You see this kind of thing on TV and I never thought it would happen to us. I don’t know what to think, I can’t believe it.”

Housewife Solvita got children – Diana, 16, Rolands, 13, Anita, three, and Elena, two – out of the back door. All escaped unhurt.

The crash happened around midnight at the house in Plane Avenue, Worsley Hall.

It is thought the MG crashed through a side gate at the front of the house before ploughing through the front door, sending rubble from the wall flying into the kitchen.

A 23-year-old passenger was trapped in the car, and firefighters had to use cutting gear to free him.

He was then taken to hospital, although his condition was not thought to be life-threatening. Witnesses told police the MG driver got out of the wreckage and left in a Ford Fiesta.

Mum-of-two 25-year-old Louise Miller, who lives next door to the Indriksones, said: “We heard a massive bang and the whole house shook, we had no idea what was happening.

“I ran downstairs first and the car was right in front of me with smoke coming from it.

“My neighbour on the other side of the crash shouted to me to get my little boy, nine-month-old Isaac, out of the house and go into his.

“My other son Noah was staying at my mum’s that night.

“My husband Paul then called the emergency services before leaving the house himself.”

Police later arrested a 23-year-old man at an address in Vale Avenue, Horwich, on suspicion of drink-driving.

He was released on bail pending further inquiries.