Fire crews were called to put out a sofa fire, smoke from which could be seen from miles away.
An engine from Wigan Fire Station was called to Rednal Walk at around 9.30pm last night after receiving a number of calls about the fire.
Watch manager Dave Holden said: “It looks like they decided to set fire to the sofa to get rid of it instead of calling the council to remove it.
“The fire produced quite a lot of smoke - we are about two miles away and we could see it from the station. We got quite a few calls about it as a result.
“It took about 10 minutes to put the fire out but we also installed fire alarms at the property.
“If you have got rubbish, please dispose of it correctly, either by taking it to a recycling centre or if you haven’t got the means to do that, call the council rather than burning it.”