Drama at Wigan North Western station as ram raiders target cash machine

The front of Wigan North Western station was taped off by police this morning (Tuesday) after what appears to be a ram raid.
Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Initial enquiries from British Transport Police suggest a vehicle was driven through the front glass doors of the Wallgate premises to steal a cash machine.

The cash machine was recovered in the nearby area.

Officers said they were called to the station at 4.45am today following reports of a burglary.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The fascia of the premises is currently stoved in and police tape prevents access.

Nobody has been arrested.

A BTP spokesman said: "Officers were called to Wigan North Western station at 4.45am this morning following reports of a burglary.

"It is believed a cash machine was stolen, which was recovered in the nearby area later this morning.

"A cordon remains in place at the scene while officers make enquiries into the incident. There have been no arrests.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"Any witnesses or anyone with information is asked to contact BTP by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 61 of 17/12/19.’

Passers-by described the drama as police swarmed the station and a large area of it was taped off.

Debris could be seen at the front of the station from the damage caused by the incident.

Taxi driver Chris Taberner, 64, said: "They smashed through the front of the station and got off with a cash machine.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"I then heard they dumped it further down the road when they got the cash out.

"It happened about 4 or 5am."

Angus, 27, said his train had been delayed from Liverpool to Wigan.

He said: "Word of mouth is that they've rammed into the front door and it was some form of robbery.

"The station was closed earlier but it has now re-opened.

"My train from Liverpool to Wigan was delayed but I don't know if that's anything to do with what's happened."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Danny Duke, 30, from Wigan, who waiting for a bus, added: "It's shocking what's happened.

"You don't expect to see that and I hope everyone is okay."

The station was closed for a period as investigations got under way and passengers were advised to use Wallgate station for services.

However, North Western Station was later re-opened, commuters using the side entrance to access platforms as normal rail services resumed.