Father and son battered by gang outside Wigan snooker hall

A father and son suffered head and facial injuries after they were set upon by a gang of up to 20 men at a Wigan snooker hall.

Stuart and Ryan Whittle were at the Potters’ Bar on Church Street in Standish on Saturday May 28 when the attack took place first inside and then in the car park at the rear.

Mr Whittle lost several teeth while his 18-year-old son suffered head injuries which needed stitches at A&E after they were kicked, punched and stamped on.

The pair were taken to Wigan Infirmary by police who had arrived at the scene just as the assailants fled.

A still from the incident that is being investigated by police

Mr Whittle’s wife Nayshia took to social media to appeal for witnesses to the attack to come forward and branded the attackers “cowards.”

Read More

Read More
Victim's family "elated" after police capture fugitive Wigan double killer in ne...

She also published video showing part of the melee.

She said it took place while the European Champions League Final was on television.

Potters Bar on Church Street, Standish.

The attack began in the bar area and then spilled out into the car park. Mrs Whittle said that the whole thing had flared up just over a spilt drink.

She wrote: “Anyone who’s been in Potters Bar Standish and seen my husband and son beaten by 20-plus men please contact the police.

"These men just jumped my 18-year-old. I am currently at A&E. They were brought here by police.

"The men just ran off – cowards!

"Stuart is minus about eight teeth and Ryan has head injuries that need suturing and assessing.

“Without names there’s no charge or justice for what they've done. I know people just generally ‘keep quiet’ and ‘don't want to cause trouble by naming and shaming’.

“But ask yourself how would you feel as a mother, father, sister, brother seeing your own beaten like this to around 20-1.

"There were too many people there for no-one to know anything. Name and shame them to prevent them doing this again!”

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “We were called to a report of fighting shortly before 10.10pm on Saturday May 28 at Potters Bar on Church Street, Standish.

“A group of people began to disperse on officers’ arrival and we took the injured parties to hospital.

“Inquiries are ongoing and no arrests have been made.”

Anyone with information should contact police via their LiveChat facility online or by calling 101 quoting incident 3320 of 28/05/2022.”