Knife-wielding robber thwarted by Wigan pensioner is remanded in custody

A knife-wielding robber who targeted a Wigan post office will face a judge after a pensioner knocked him to the ground and staff locked him inside the building until police arrived.

Thursday, 13th December 2018, 2:12 pm
Updated Friday, 14th December 2018, 8:28 am
The scene of the attempted robbery in Kitt Green

Dean Carradice, of no fixed address, appeared at Wigan Magistrates’ Court this week charged with robbery and possession of a knife following an incident at Kitt Green Post Office on Monday.

The 33-year-old was apprehended by police after a staff member at the City Road office locked him in a room and closed the shutters at the front of the building before calling the police.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, Carradice entered the branch on Monday, December 10, armed with a knife.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A member of staff, who was working in a different room at the time, heard a commotion and looked on CCTV to find out what was going on.

A CPS spokesperson said: “She saw a man with his face covered and a knife in his hands.

“He jumped over the counter and was trying to get into the safe.”

Amid the uproar a man managed to knock the failed robber to the ground before the employee ran to lock him in the room.

It is not clear as to whether Carradice was going to steal the safe or just its contents.

“She came from a different room and locked the door to where the safe was,” added the spokesperson.

“Everyone managed to get outside and the staff member pulled down the shutters to stop him from escaping.

“He tried to get out of the room by bashing on the door but he couldn’t get out.”

Neighbours to the City Road post office soon took to social media praising the heroic actions of the staff and the “old man” who pushed Carradice to the ground.

During his appearance at the magistrates’ court, Carradice was brought into the dock wearing handcuffs and flanked by security guards, having been brought from the cells.

He appeared sullen, and spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth, and gave his address as Harrow Road, Wigan.

He entered a guilty plea to both charges. He was remanded in custody until January 9, when he will appear at Bolton Crown Court.