Man jailed for sexual assaulting two woman after their car broke down in Wigan

A man who sexually assaulted two women in their broken down car on the motorway at Wigan has been jailed.

Monday, 11th May 2020, 8:56 am

The early hours attack on the hard shoulder of the M6 at Standish happened shortly after Michael Brett attacked a taxi driver who had been giving him a lift.

The 35-year-old’s frightening and bizarre behaviour continued when he then exposed himself to his terrified female victims, who had by then locked themselves in their vehicle, and started jaywalking across the carriageway almost causing several crashes.

Bolton Crown Court was told that on Saturday, August 10 last year at around 1am, the 34-year-old taxi driver picked Brett up from the Marriott Hotel in Broughton, Preston, for a fare to take him to Liverpool.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Bolton Crown Court

But near junction 27 on the M6, and without provocation, he began hitting the driver from behind, striking him on the neck, shoulders and head.

The taxi driver hit the panic button while Brett made him pull over. Brett scrambled out of the car and ran off down the hard shoulder, but not before he had wrapped his arm around the driver’s neck and squeezed.

A short time later two women, aged 29 and 28,were in a car on the hard shoulder waiting for the RAC due to a problem with a wheel when Brett appeared outside.

The doors were open and he got in the car, where he sexually assaulted both women.

The hearing was told he got out of the car and they locked the doors and called the police.

As he walked away, he exposed himself to them before walking into the motorway with numerous vehicles having to swerve to avoid him.

Brett, previously of Ferndale Road, Waterloo, Liverpool, but latterly of HMP Forest Bank, pleaded guilty to counts of sexual assault, one of indecent exposure and another of indecent exposure.

He had denied a charge of attempting to rob the taxi driver and this was allowed to lie on file by the prosecution.

Brett was given eight-month sentences for each of the two sex assaults and a further two months for attacking the taxi driver. The terms are to be served consecutively, which means he gets an 18-month jail term. No separate punishment was given for the indecent exposure offence.