Metal bars and wood embedded with nails used in mass street brawl

Mass brawl in street
Mass brawl in street

A gang of up to 40 men confronted police when they were alerted to a brawl outside a takeaway, a court heard.

The first officers on the scene thought they could see three machetes being swung around outside the shop in Leigh, Wigan magistrates were told.

But it turned out that two of the aggressors were armed with metal bars and a third had a piece of wood embedded with nails.

Police say many of the men present outside the premises, which were not named in court, were “agitated” and a request was quickly made for extra officers to attend the scene, the court heard.

Three men were eventually arrested over the major public disorder on June 6, after the takeaway’s window was smashed and threats issued.

Nazhad Hasanzada, 23, Farhad Hassan, 27, and Omar Hassan Raza, 34, each admitted to offences of affray and possession of offensive weapons.

Hasanzada, of Swan Lane, Huddersfield, and Hassan and Raza, both of Buchanan Street, Leigh, were remanded on bail for pre-sentence reports until July 13.

They were bailed to the same address in Manchester Road, Linthwaite, Huddersfield, until that appearance and report regularly to a local police station.

Tess Kenyon, prosecuting, said Hasanzada, Hassan and Raza, came to the police’s attention in particular because they were all equipped with long-handled weapons. Hassan was seen brandishing a piece of wood, which Miss Kenyon said was “quickly dropped as the officers approached”.

Hasanzada and Raza, were armed with large metal bars, and still appear to be agitated, but they eventually “reluctantly” dropped them also.

The court heard the incident had been captured on CCTV, which had not so far been provided by Greater Manchester Police.

The defendants had entered a basis of plea to the charges, which has not been accepted by the prosecution. Defending, Colin Rawson said the case could be resolved once the CCTV footage had been viewed by all parties.